The beginner’s guide to cloud ERP
Keeping your company running smoothly is a big task. Each individual department needs to run effectively, and all departments need to interact efficiently with each other. Cloud ERP is an effective method of keeping all areas of your business running smoothly.
This one tool really can transform how your business operates.
What is ERP?
ERP is the acronym for “enterprise resource planning.”
ERP helps organize, oversee and manage all the individual processes that keep a company running effectively. This could include everything from human resources and finance to marketing and manufacturing.
ERP systems rely on a centralized database for keeping track of all the moving pieces. When used effectively, ERP enables better communication and collaboration.
How does ERP work?
ERP works by organizing and integrating a variety of data from several departments in your company. Traditional ERP software depends on a local server infrastructure. This would require an onsite server you’d have to manage and maintain.
The great thing about cloud ERP is that it’s just as effective as a legacy, onsite ERP, and it can work for a variety of industries. That includes finance, manufacturing, distributing and any other vertical that could benefit from ERP.
How does cloud ERP work?
Doing business in the cloud allows companies to harness unprecedented levels of flexibility and agility. In fact, a cloud-based application, like cloud EPR, give SMBs access to enterprise level technology.
Cloud ERP offers customers an entire system that can work more effectively in unison. Utilizing a cloud ERP has several advantages notable advantages when compared with an ERP housed in an onsite server. These include:
- Less costly: Services are leased as needed instead of requiring an expensive upfront purchase that might include more options than you actually need. You won’t have to invest in the necessary hardware or hire a qualified technician for maintenance. This is ideal, especially if you have a small or mid-size company.
- Increased security: Keeping data secure is crucial and requires expertise and advanced technology that most small companies simply can’t afford. This makes it critical to choose a vendor that has the ability to keep your data secure. When your sensitive company information is stored in a secure cloud ERP, you’re adding another layer of protection to your company’s cybersecurity plan.
- Protection from disasters: Security doesn’t just mean protection from hackers. When you’re storing all your information onsite, you’re susceptible to fire, floods and power outages. Cloud ERP can be a crucial part of your disaster plan.
- More flexibility: Your cloud ERP can be accessed anywhere there’s internet. You can work from a tablet, a laptop or your mobile phone. This makes collaboration with your entire team easier.
- Easy implementation & access: When your ERP is in the cloud, it normally takes less time to implement the system. You also have access to all your data and business applications at all times.
How do you keep ERP working effectively?
While there are several advantages of using cloud ERP, there are a few challenges you’ll need to keep in mind.
Support, especially during the start-up phase, is crucial. You want to get things get off the ground smoothly. We advise including your managed IT services provider in the process right from the beginning. That ensures you have the support and guidance you need to make the most of cloud ERP.